This month has seen the arrival of FOVE 0, the virtual reality (VR) head-mounted display (HMD) that features inbuilt eye tracking as standard. Pre-orders went live in November 2016, with the first headsets shipping over the course of this month. Today FOVE Inc. has issued a status update regarding issues surrounding the software development kit (SDK), Unity and Unreal plugins, and the SteamVR driver.
With Steam being the dominant global marketplace that it is, support for the platform is fairly important. FOVE Inc. has now said a beta version will be available on Steam this Thursday, 2nd February, users just need to fill in this form to apply.
For developers the company has launched a new version of its SDK, with 0.10.0 going live today. Issues surrounding video game development engines Unity and Epic Games’ Unreal Engine have now reportedly been resolved, with stable versions of the plugins available through the manufacturers website.
Checkout the full changlog rundown below, and for any further FOVE updates, keep reading VRFocus.
Current status of FOVE 0 platforms and content:
1 FOVE SDK
- The version 0.9.3 of FOVE SDK was uploaded to our website on January 20th
- We will publish a new version (0.10.0) of the SDK today, January 30th
2 FOVE Setup
- There was a problem with the setup application during the first week of launch
- The problem was fixed and version 0.9.3.1 was uploaded to our website on January 25th
- We will publish a new version (0.10.0) of the Setup today, January 30th
3 Unity plugin
- There was a problem with Unity plugin during the first week of launch
- It was fixed and the latest version of the plugin was uploaded to our website on January 25th
4 Unreal plugin
- The latest version has been uploaded to Github and is working properly
- See download instructions on our website
5 Unity example
- In relation to the problem with the Unity plugin reported above, there was a problem with the example scene too
- A fix was made and uploaded to our website on January 25th
6 SteamVR driver
- The beta version will be available on Steam this Thursday, February 2nd
- If you wish to sign up as a beta tester, fill in this form and we will send you the Steam beta access key on the day of launch
7 OSVR driver
- We are working on getting the beta version online as soon as possible
8 Other sample content
- We are preparing our original demo launcher at the moment and are planning to upload it to our website soon
- Inside the demo launcher you will find various applications that utilise eye tracking in creative ways – for gaming, analytics, social interaction and more